Friday, December 28, 2007

Holidays at work 2007

So I decided to do a separate post for my work holiday stuff so not to completely lose you all in the holiday mess!

Work holiday stuff started on Friday Dec 14. We had our company's holiday party in North Jersey (the place I work at is in central) so its a bit of a drive for us but we left right after morning classes. Now, this party is probably the only time we go to the main office unless they have some random ALL staff meeting which *sometimes* happens once a year. I don't mind it too much because its the one time I see some of the people I used to work with when I was stationed in the main office, and its also the time to get good office gossip:)

However, this year was a little weird for us. Mainly because we would be going without Larry and we hadn't seen anyone really since it all happened except a few at the funeral who we really didn't get to talk to anyway. So the party itself was ok. Nothing overly special, we (our table) toasted to Larry and were a bit surprised that the company didn't toast him or even mention him or his passing. Got a little office updates and talked to a few people I hadn't seen in awhile.

So....our other holiday party was a week later at the center where we are actually stationed. Of course I was still sick so I was sort of mellow but I wasn't going to miss it and I am still glad I went. We have a small gift exchange between our small close group. This year in particular we were really trying to keep it fun and upbeat b/c of the obvious hole in our celebration, Larry. We usually do just the small gift exchange and that is it but me, Valeda and Tracy all did a little bit more this year. Valeda and I got the guys some candies and I got Tracy and Valeda Webkinz (does anyone know what they are? They are small stuffed animals that come with a code to plug in online where you "adopt" them and then have to take care of them. I got myself one too so we could all do it!) Valeda got Tracy some candles and me my awesome Eagles Santa Hat. Tracy got everyone these nice Hallmark Keepsake Spiderman ornaments as her gift to us and to Larry in his memory. Spiderman was a big thing for him. I brought in some soft pretzels from the new Philly Soft Pretzel store that opened across the street from my house and everyone loved them too. It was a bit weird for all of usbut we made the best of it and I think the new year will be a easier and better for us at work. The one thing this tragedy did do was it probably made us all a lot closer than we already were and I think that has been good for everyone.

Here are some photos of our gift exchange:
Our Group:


Jay had Valeda for his secret santa and she wanted a husband so he put a bow on, printed a marriage certificate and gave it to her! Then he gave her her real gift from Bath and body works!


Valeda got Bob a gag gift of a pre-paid cell phone b/c we constantly tease him he is the only one without a cell phone!


Tracy had me and got me this awesome penguin that spins and plays a christmas song:




We took a lot more combo photos this year b/c we realized when we were looking for photos of Larry how many times we didn't do group photos when we could have so now we are making sure to take the time to get the shots:)



Basically all day while we were in the cafeteria I was just blah b/c I didn't feel well yet and I wasn't up for taking many photos. Normally I take photos of all the students and stuff in case we want/need them later but I was just not into it all so Valeda went around to take some photos-and she said "Its hard work being you!" I laughed and told her now she understands!

All in all the day was good-and despite being sick I am glad I went and was there with everyone. Plus, my friend was able to get me into a dr later so I really did get better!!!

I am finally starting to feel back to normal. Still a little tired and stuffy but at least my sore throat is all gone and I am not coughing like I was all the time, just occassionally. Tomorrow I am going to the mall for a bit with Tracy and Valeda so that will be good to get out of the house. I can't believe its already going to be Friday though-where did the time go??? Saturday my goal is to work on re-organizing our DVDs and updating our list since I really haven't updated it through the year like I should have. Sunday Ben is off so we will just chill, monday he works and its New Years Eve so I will probably just get us some good snacks and maybe see if there are any movies we want to get so we can chill out that night after he gets home from work and then Tuesday we can chill and Wed it will be back to work for me.

ta ta for now!!!

No comments: