Friday, July 4, 2008

Happy 4th of July 2008!

Hope everyone is having a great holiday weekend! I just wanted to share a quick few photos of my great grandfathers WWI uniform. I located this uniform in an old trunk of my great grandmothers that had been in my dad's attic for at least 20yrs and from what it looked like when I opened the trunk originally I tend to think the trunk its self had been stored and closed since the 1950s. Much of the contents of the trunk were items that seemed to be from when when my great grandfather was in WWI (newspapers and such) as well some old things of her mother's and my grandfather and his sister (Shoes, baby onies, nurses uniform of my grandfather's sister, etc.) Most of the trunk items were trashed but I was sure to get some of the newspapers, old photos and the WWI uniform. I had also found some of my great grandfather's medals in the trunk and gave them to my grandfather when I first located them as I am sure they would have wanted him to have the medals.

Anyway, what brings this on you say? Well I had finally gotten around to taking the uniform to get dry cleaned. It cost more than I would have liked to spend (of course!) as much as I have no idea what to do with this uniform, I can not bring myself to get rid of it and I figured it deserved a good clean (if nothing else to get rid of some of the musty smell it had. Currently it is in my backroom and I am going to get a garment bag to put it all in and store in our closet for now. I thought it might be nice to look into some historical societies and see if anyone wants to take it "on loan" for display since it really is such a historical item. I just think its fasinating to think that this uniform was worn by my great grandfather in WWI!

So, here are a few of those photos I promised!




Blog sig Colleen

No comments: