Monday, August 4, 2008

American Idol Concert 2008-Atlantic City

I am overdue for a good update and I had a fantastic weekend this past weekend but I want to make that a separate post from my review of the American Idol Tour concert.

The Stats:
When: Saturday, August 2, 2008
Where: Boardwalk Hall, Atlantic City, NJ
Who: American Idol Top Ten Season 7
What: concert

So this is my second American Idol Top Ten concert. I went last year in the same location and I have to say what a difference a year makes. Last year, I was a bigger "fan" of some idols but the show itself had a lot more energy and entertainment to it than this year. While I did enjoy the music, and seeing those idols that I did like on the show, as a whole I found the show to be actually rather boring. The format was completely different than last year and not in a good way. I understand they want to keep things fresh and new for people who go year after year but I really hope that next year is closer to Season 6's concert than Season 7.

So here is the good bad and the ugly on my American Idol Concert Experience 2008!

What I didn't like:
1-The format. Starting with #10 and going to #1. Each performer #10-3 sang 3 songs each, typically at least one "upbeat" and one "slower" song and then a third. Some songs were ones that were performed on the show and some were not. When it got to #2 David A, he sang 4 songs and American Idol winner aka #1 David Cook sang 5 songs. But it played out like a talent show, one performer at a time and very mundane. There was nothing to keep you interested if you didn't enjoy the current performer. For example, I really can't stand to watch Carly sing. So basically for the duration of her 3 songs I sat there twiddling my thumbs waiting for the next person to come on. Last year, there were many more group numbers or duets at least and it kept it interesting with costume changes and such. And with the group numbers, even if you didn't like one person, odds were in your favor you liked at least one of the performers on stage at any given time. This year it just seemed rather "cheap" and I can tell you my tickets were no cheaper than they were last year, and they WERE higher up.

2-The "pre-show". I guess they changed their partnership with some sponsors this year and I think it made a world of difference, and not in a positive way. Last year big sponsors were Pop-Tarts and TV Guide. When you walked in there were lights and things set up, get your photo with the idols (a cardboard poster) but then you went online to see it after the show. They also had the TV Guide "red carpet" where you could get a photo too and see it online later. During all that the Pop-Tart guy was wondering around and building excitement.

This year, there really was nothing. While I did notice a bit more souvenier stands (I don't recall as many last year but I don't really remember), there was no "excitement in the air" like I felt last year. The big sponsor seemed to be Guitar Hero and they did have a stand (I only saw one) where people could try it but even that didn't really have much of a crowd. Part of what I think helps generate a buzz for showtime is that pre-game excitement when you walk in. Maybe it was just me but I wasn't impressed. And once you got into the arena at your seats it was even less interesting. Last year they had a lot more idol behind scenes type stuff and this thing where you text messaged to a number and your message for the idols came up on the screen during pre-show or intermission. It was interesting and fun to watch and just got you invested in the show before it began. This year, none of that. We saw a logo for American Idol just roam around the big black screens hanging up.

3-Heat. Heat rises and I suggest for anyone to go to this venue in the summer, think twice about 300 level seats:) They are not bad seats for viewing but they were hot and crunched together.

4-Crowd control. They really seemed to drop the ball on crowd control after the show, or maybe they did too much of it but it was like being crushed into a can on the way out, no one moving. Typically once people get to the doors that lead to the boardwalk though, things disperse. I am not sure what was going on but people were NOT moving and there didn't even seem to be a reason for it. I tend to think they might have set up the barracades for the idols to come out and that made people stand still or something.Who knows!

What was OK:
1-The MC entertainer to get the crowd going. I don't remember if they had one last year or not (shows what kind of impression they made if they did!) The guy they had was ok, nothing overly interesting but not bad either. I do think it would be fantastic for them to get Blake Lewis from season 6 to do it. Not only does he have the energy and personality to get people going, he would be a draw for even more people to the concert (or a nice treat!) I wouldn't be surprised if his fans would buy tickets just to see him for the 15-20 minutes he is out there pumping up the crowd!

2-The stage. This could proably be lumped up with the actual format but the stage itself seemed much smaller which made me wonder if that was why they didn't do any big group numbers or even move around as much.It didn't bother me too much one way or another but it was different.

What I DID like:
1-The song choices, mostly. I did feel that the performers did a really good job in their actual performances and I did enjoy the song choices, and I felt like I knew more of the songs. It was nice to see hear some of the songs they performed on the show that I enjoyed and was thrilled to hear them sing live.

2-The performances themselves. Each performer I felt had really made an improvement since the show and really did perform their selected numbers. I don't blame them for the format:) (except Carly-she is not a bad singer, I just can not stand to watch her, she still makes too many ridiculus faces for me!)

3-The company. I was watching with one of my best friends from college, Kim and who better to share a good night out with. I think this was the best part of the concert:)

4-Our escape route from the crowds! We did get lucky and once we got through most of the crowd we were able to get around the mass of non-moving people by cutting on the beach a bit and it was successful, even with having to walk on some sand!

5-The Idols coming out to sign autographs. While I did not get any actual autographs (and did lose my camera case but that is for another post) I did get some photos and I did think it was pretty cool of them to come out to sign autographs for the crowds. There was no way they could reach everyone but they seemed to really try. We saw Carly (blah!-I went right past her) and I saw Kristy Lee Cook head back inside but didn't SEE her, Syesha, Jason Castro, David A and Brooke White.

6-David Cook filming the audience. He really does seem to still have a humble nature to him and appreciate's the fame he has come into and wants to cherish it. He expresses this when he has the place bring up the studio lights so he can film the audience on his own camera during the show!

7-The Salt Water Taffy:) This is a treat I don't get often so I grabbed some up while we were on the boardwalk-yum!


Overall it was a nice night and I look forward to hopefully going again next year. It looked like a sold out show so I am sure they will return to Atlantic City! I do hope the show its self is a little more interesting but as long as the songs are good and the singers do well (and I am there in good company!)its worth the trip to see!

Boardwalk Hall


Top 10 American Idols 2008 (sorry the pics are so far away-we were in the 300 level seating and I didn't want to bother with using my zoom lens-it was just too cramped)
Chickezie

Ramieyle

Micheal Johns

Kristy Lee Cook

Carly : Opps! Didn't take any of her! Oh well! (can you tell I REALLY didn't enjoy her?)
Brooke White

Jason Castro

Syesha

David A.

And WInner of American Idol 2008: David Cook!

Top ten (the ONLY group performance!)



Post Concert "bumper to bumper boardwalk crowds"

using the beach to get by


Idols outside signing autographs...
Ok so I cropped in here a little show but, seriously, is it me or does she just wear TOO much eye makeup, even for being on stage???

Jason Castro

Brooke White

Syesha

David A.


Me getting my Taffy

Trying to take our own photo


That should get you started on my weekend recap. I will have a separate post with pics from the weekend and such but I wanted to at least get up my AI Concert Review!

Ta ta for now!
Blog sig Colleen

2 comments:

Count Your Blessings said...

What a great overview - I should just post a link to your blog on mine for my update! heehee And you chose nice pics to put on there also! I agree, the company was the best part :)

CKF said...

Go for it! It will bring traffic to my blog LOL!

glad you agree on the best part!