Monday, January 28, 2008

Funny stories for the day

I dont have a lot to really write about but I had two quick stories that were amusing to me at least.
First up....Today I went to get my car inspected during lunch (a little longer than regular lunch). In NJ you have to do it every two years and mine will expire at the end of the month. So, I took a drive over, was there for about an hour total (drive, wait, them looking, more waiting) and my car was REJECTED!!! Now it is quite common to fail for emissions but that is not what I failed for....I failed a head light being out! Now the good news is that is a quick easy fix but it annoyed me because as far as I knew my headlights were fine! So I drove over to ben's shop and looked, and they were fine! I went in to get ben and have him look at my headlights (on my car!) and he did then he told me to put the high beams on and then said one of those was out. How was I suppossed to know I had a HIGH BEAM out??? I don't use them!!!

So, Ben fixed it and I went back to the inspection station, went right to the front of the "re-inspection" line, gave the guy my stuff and told him I was just back for a headlight and he looked at me and said "You were just here?" and I said yes, turned my lights on and off, he was happy but I still had to wait 20min because there were two cars ahead of me BUT ultimately I left with my car now inspected and passed and good for two more years!!

So back at work, I had looked up the electric company in our area to get the number for Jay (my friend who is moving into an apt this weekend)and while I was looking for the number to call I saw some info for "Special Services" so I checked it out and found this:

Blind or Visually Impaired Customers

PSE&G offers free services to help blind or visually impaired customers ... Give us a call at 1-800-436-PSEG (7734) and we’ll start sending your electric and gas bills in extra-large type for easier reading. We can even produce bills in Braille, the touch-alphabet for the blind. And, at your request, Braille-like markings can be placed on standard oven regulator knobs, at no charge.


I told Jay about this (he is blind) and he called up and set up his electric for friday and at the end of the call he asked about the large print bill and getting his stove marked. The woman had NO CLUE what Jay was talking about. So he asked her if he could give the phone to me because I was the one who read it online so I got on the phone to talk to her. She put me on hold a few minutes to talk to her supervisor and eventually came back and said they couldn't find it on the website so I walked her through the links to get it. Then I hear two men in the background, one saying they don't do it anymore and one saying they do. She asked for my number and name to call me back when they figured it out since they didn't seem to have a clue. I then mentioned to her that I work in a building with the commission for the blind and that I would really like to know the conclusion so we can pass the information to others since we work with blind/visually impaired daily. I also told her it would surprise me if they stopped offering the services, especially with all the ADA regulations and stuff. So we will see what they come up with. Its almost a fun prject now. I will give it a week and if I don't hear from her I will try to call back. I should have gotten her name but who knows...maybe we will hit the lottery and get someone who HAS heard of it next time! Its not really an issue for Jay since we can help him mark anything he needs and help him with his bill, he could bring it to work and use the scanners to read it if he needs

Other than that the day was pretty uneventful. I am hoping to get to bed a little earlier tonight since I didn't really sleep last night. Hope everyone has a great night!!!

No comments: