Tuesday, May 6, 2008

TV-Talk: American Idol Performances "Rock and Roll Hall of Fame" (live blog)

Ok...its that time again for American Idol and I am going to try again to "live blog" my thoughts.

Tonights theme is Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. An interesting theme but gives a bit of a variety to choose from so it should be interesting.

Up first....
David C-He sang "Hungry like a Wolf" (Duran Duran) and for us it was not one of his best. It wasn't bad but it was ok. I think that while he does make a lot of songs his own, his voice and singing style is consistant through those songs. You can identify it against others. I think this is something that makes him strong but can also be difficult because on a show like this it can make him "predictable". He is still one of our faves and I will be giving him so lovin votes tonight. I am hoping he does a slower song like when he did Music of the Night for his second song because a night like this where they get two songs is a good opportunity to show the "rock" side but also the "ballad" side and hit both types of audiences desires.

Syesha-Sang "Proud Mary". It was an ok performance. She does better when she can "act" and sing but she falls into characters instead of making things her own or being her own person. I still think she has a nice voice but I am not interested. She is definately talented and I really think she will excell on broadway but I just don't get excited or interested in her performances. I do think Simon described it well when he said it was a "bad impersonation of Tina Turner". That hits it because all she did was impersonate, she didn't make it her own. Let's see what she brings with the next song....

Jason-Sang "I Shot the Sherif". His "intro" was very cute and I have to say right off the bat he already seems like he is having more fun with this song/performance than he has in a few weeks and I think if nothing else that is cool. I don't know if he will be able to pull it off with things being so tight but I still personally like him better than Syesha or David A and I will through a little vote love his way. It was in no way his best, but I don't think it was his worst either and I don't think its as bad as the judges tried. I personally think they were just upset about the way he liked it because it was Bob Marley. We will see what is next...

David A-Sang "Stand By Me'. I think it was "ehh". I really like that song and I was not into it at all. I am not even sure what to say about it I was so unimpressed and I really wanted to like it. I really do think the judges are trying to pit a David-David finale (and even Simon's comments reflect that theory).

Round 2:
David C-Sang "Baba O'reilley" I LOVE this song and think its a good choice for him. It allows him to show some soft and some hard singing and I enjoyed it. I even got chills and this season I didn't get them nearly enouhg (although my fave of his is still Music of the Night!) But I did enjoy this, especially since they have to chop the song to make it fit the show. I am happy with his performance and the judges are just annoying me tonight:)

Syesha-Sang "A Change is going to Come" by Sam Cooke. Of course her interview starts out a little odd to me when she compared being in the top 4 to the civil rights moment. No, Syesha, you are NOT full of yourself like I have thought all season:) Ben thought it was great but I still am just not overly impressed with her. I say it again and again, she has a nice voice and she is talented but she is just not as good as I think they are trying to make her. I really think this week they want her to knock Jason out because I think the judges are just tired of him and how "laid back" he is. I will make a special spot about the judges at the end of this.

Jason-Sang "Mr Tambourine Man" Another song I like and I think that whether people like Jason or not, it is going to be a bottom of two of him and Syesha (although I wouldn't mind seeing a bottom two of him and David A, I could deal with that but I know it won't happen.) I think honestly, Jason picked the songs he liked and wanted to sing because he had nothing to lose. He probably has a pretty good feeling he is on his way out one way or another and why not pick things you like and go out (if you do) by performing something you enjoyed performing instead of killing yourself to sing something to make the judges happy but you could care less about.

David A-Sang "Love me Tender" Ok, How is this kid still in it and NOT know Elvis songs (or the Beatles songs if anyone recalls). Seriously. And he turned it into another one of his "inspirational type" songs that is his sound. For me, it was nice when he did Imagine and it was the first time. I even liked the Phil Collins one he did "another day in paradise" but you don't do this to Elvis. Not such a recognizable song. And it ticks me off the way the judges coddle him and his songs yet didn't like when Jason changes up a notable song. Not impressed and I REALLY don't think he is as good as the judges are trying to make him sound. I think they are trying to hard to make it David David and need to emphasize David A "being so good" so people will believe it. I don't. I liked him early on but now I am over him.

Ok...so overall for me I thought the show was not bad. Not the best, not the worst. I thought the judges were overally critcal of Jason this evening and overly praising of David A. I think they are trying to "stack the deck" and I am un-impressed by that. I personally did not mind Jason's songs that they thought were so "awful" but I do think they were not his best. I also think that the judges just didn't like the song choice and were taking it out on him. I think Randy is trying to be "Simon" but he is not, I think Paula is useless and continues to be useless and I think Simon is still very honest but I do think he decides different reasons for liking people than just their singing but he is also a good person who knows who is profitable and who is not quite as profitable.

So that is my thouhts tonight...we will see if America gets it right tomorrow!

Blog sig Colleen

No comments: