Tuesday, May 13, 2008

TV Talk: American Idol Top 3 Performance Show

Its that time again....."It's American Idol!"

Tonight is the top 3 performances, with clips from home I believe and they each sing 3 songs. Each judge choice a song, the producers choice one and contestants got to chose one.

First up....
Judges Choice:
David A. singing "And so it goes" by Billy Joel. Ok, already I have trouble listening to him. His voice is just not something I really enjoy listening too.And why does he have to slow down EVERY song he sings? My dear husband is big Billy Joel fan and as he puts it "he is horrible. If you know this song, he is horrible". I am not interested (as shown by my typing this out AS he sings instead of after. I won't say he can not sing because he does have a voice and ability to sing, but he does not sing to my tastes and I would not purchase his music. I am uninterested in his performances. And I am so sick of Randy pushing David A on everyone every week-Paula is not much better. Simon at least tells it like it is, that is was good but predictable and nothing outstanding, it was just good.

Syesha is singing "If I ain't got you "by Alicia Keyes. It was nice. She has a pretty voice and can do those nice songs but like Simon said, she does often try to mimic a song instead of making it her own and her "acting" still kind of gets on my nerves.

David C. is singing "First time ever I saw your face" by Roberta Flack. I liked it. He made it his own and did do something different. I thought he performed well and he demonstrated he could take a risk as Simon likes to say and I think it went well.

Up next, Round 2~Contestant's choices!
David A. singing "With You" by Chris Brown. Not as bad as some others but he sounds like he is out of breath as he sings, as Simon likes to say (although typing this before he speaks) he sounded like a wedding singer to me. Now having heard Simon's comment "it was like a chiwawa trying to be like a tiger"-I liked his analogy! LOL

Syesha singing "Fever" by Peggy Lee. She is such an actress first and singer second and tries too hard when she is singing to act but does come over better when she DOES get to act. She is perfect for Broadway-no question! I see her in a show by the end of next year if it takes that long. She has a voice but she is not a pop star and I cant' see her singing without the ability to act at the same time, ie broadway. And Paula's comments about not showing who she, but she does show what she wants, to ACT AND Sing. I think she knows she will not win in the votes to get to the final two and by picking the song she did she basically did a national audition for broadway and I think that IS what she was trying to do.

David C. singing "Dare You to Move" by Switchfoot. It was good. I will say a bit predictable with what type of music he sings but I was ok with it. I think he was better on his first song but it might have to do with me not really knowing the song this round and that can make a difference in appeal.


Round 3~Producers choice
David A. singing "Longer" This is the perfect type of song for him to sing. Its not preachy, its just singing softly and simply which is what he showed early on he was good at with "Imagine". He still seems still and uncomfortable when he sings but I think that is really just age. He is young and I think that really does come into play on a show like this. Overall, I would say this was his best of the evening and the only one I halfway liked. (Although I am done with Randy and Paula's comments. Its so so evident Randy is all about David A and doing anything he can to promote him).

Syesha singing "Hit me Up" Again with the acting. She is definately a performer and she is not bad at all. Not really my style but it is her niche and she does it well. Like I said with the last song, I think she is auditioning for broadway with these songs.

David C singing "I don't want to miss a thing" I like it. I like the song and his raspy rock voice fits it well by still showing his personality and style. It doesn't completely go "soft", but its a nice song you sit back and listen to and enjoy. He puts his style on it by really breaking it out of the normal "box" and I think he really pulled it out. I agree with Simon that David C won the night.

Now for my Judges rant of the evening (it wouldn't be complete without it, now would it?)
Randy-I am so over him. Its so obvious he is pushing for David A and knocking Syesha down so they get their David-David finale. I read an article today in Entertainment Weekly by Mark Harris who I think said it best when he said "his autopilot appraisals". Seriously--does the man know any other phrases than the 3-4 he uses over and over? I am so over him and I know he is an iconic part of American Idol but I truly doubt anyone takes a thing he says seriously. I know I only half listen because he says nothing of value.

Paula-Again...she is entertaining in her "cookyness" however it adds nothing to the show, nothing to the contestants (she provides no real valuable feedback for the contestants). And I really think it was quite obvious that she too was pushing the Davids for finale and trying to softly set up Syesha to expect to go home. I am over her.

Simon-As normal, Simon gets it right. People don't always agree with what he says but typically his comments have value to them, good or bad. He doesn't seem to push one person solely because he wants things and if he does, he is just not as obvious about it as others.

The article I read in Entertainment Weekly was truly on the spot with what the authoer said. I agree with him on two main points that were made. The first that I do think American Idol should raise the minimum contestant age to 18. I think its nice to see a "kid" for a while but if everyone is considered adult you won't get the sympathy thing for the young person, and even more importantly, there is no need for anyone to be studying or getting lessons and missing out on other things. I was actually surprised when I first heard the minimum age was 16. The other point I agreed with was getting rid of Paula and Randy and brining in some people who can offer "quick sharp critques" that mean something to the contestants. Or at the very least I do think it would be a good idea to ban the judges from dress rehersals. I was actually appalled to hear they sometimes go to them because its not fair to the contestants that their comments could be based on comparison or performances from their rehersal! The one other point the author made that I did agree with is that it wouldn't hurt to have some more current mentors. Music Legends are great but more current might be more impressionable to the contestants. Just my thoughts.

So there you have it...my thoughts on American Idol this evening. My votes went all to David Cook tonight and I am hoping he takes it all-I know I would buy his music!

ta ta for now...


Blog sig Colleen

1 comment:

Count Your Blessings said...

That was a nice update! That article you read sounds really interesting...I agree with those points also. What contestant aged 16 (or 18)-25 is going to really know Neil Diamond?? I thought it was obvious that the judges were pushing a David-David finale. Esp with Paula telling Syesha basically that she's going home - Paula never talks like that ... the crazy coot!