Tuesday, September 9, 2008

90210 Week 2-and I am still watching! *Spoilers*

So after last week's great ratings opening on the CW, its already the second episode of the new 90210. So far I still like it. This week there was a bit more Kelly and I definately didn't mind.

My thoughts on this week's episode and such:
First off I have to say I really like the character of Silver aka Erin Silver, Kelly's half sister. Not only is the character interesting, the actress does a great job with it and it is the perfect tie-in from old to new.

All of the characters seem to have good chemistry with each other and interact well. The only one that doesn't do it for me and really just seems to be trying to hard to BE a character is Naomi. Just don't care about her. I see that she is the tormented pretty girl of the generation and the whole "daddy" thing is a nice way to show her vulnerabilty but I am just not buying it yet.I am not one to write off a character too early and she shows potential I just think the actress looks like she is trying to hard but maybe that is what they wanted.

I liked all the stuff at the bowling alley. It seemed like true interactions and even if the family is trying to bring kansas to California it doesn't seem overdone. I am also interested in learning more about the "Story" that led to the family adopting Dixon and I like the repore between Annie and Dixon as brother and sister. And I do just love Dixon and his film buddy-their friendship is cool.Even Annie and Silver seem more real as new friends than Annie with any of the other girls. The past "friendship" of annie and Nathan definately complicates things but keeps it interesting as well. Lots of potential there.

Kelly's character dropped a few "hints" tonight regarding the father of her son but nothing concrete that really says Dylan or Brandon more one over the other. She comes out and says that Sammy's father is someone she had a lot of history with in high school and didn't see each other for a while and then hooked up one night 4 years ago. She also says that at first he was in Sammy's life but they had issues and it didn't work out and now he is trying to get back involved. To me, instinctively it sounds more "Dylan" than "Brandon" but arguements could be made either way at this point. Of course they could always try to through an "unknown" onto us but I don't think that would go over as well as if they could somehow get Luke Perry or Jason Priestly to reprise their roles. **Fingers Crossed**

I know they are really trying to make it a new show and I think once the new cast a little more established (and I think they are working towards it well), a few more sprinkles of 90210 originals would be a great way to keep us original show viewers who want a glimpse of our past. I would really love to see more of the characters and I think they could really do it if they do it right, lots of potential. With the quick shot of "Hannah Zuckerman-Vasquez" last week, they have already put a piece out there that could bring in Andrea. I would LOVE to see Steve and Janet and their daughter who realistically could be only a few years older than Kelly's son come back but I know that Lindsay Price who was "Janet" is currently on Lipstick Jungle and I know I would heartbroken if they came back and were not together. It would be AWESOME if they came back and were still living in "Casa Walsh" but I imagine they would have moved by now since the set is probably long gone (probably why the Peach Pit got the makeover it did too!) Bringing back David and Donna even in tidbits would be nice. I believe Brian Austin Green is on Terminator Chronicles or something but I don't see that going very far although I think he is quoted somewhere as saying he wasn't interested although I still say that if the price$$ is right they can get any of them to return, even if just occassional guest spots. They could easily pull Donna in and now show us David too much but reference him. He IS Silver's brother too ya know! I just think if they could find a way to show how that core's friendships had still stood the test of time, it would not only be a good message, it would suck us older viewers right in with no urgency to change the channel.

In other comments about the show, I can appreciate the good pop culture references both in dialogue and in how teens today interact, aka messages via text instead of a call and ipod earbuds hanging out of many ears. I even like how Annie and Dixon's parents try to keep their mid-western values but look "hip".

Oh and tonights scene where Kelly goes to see her mother to help with Erin and bring her to live with her. Fantastic. And realistic that history could repeat itself like it has and how Kelly is there to help now when there wasn't someone for her. It stayed true to original characters while really opening up some storylines about what has happened in these missing years to strain the relationship of Kelly and her mother. Her mother's comment about the baby's father sort of seemed reminiscent of her attitude toward Dylan back in the day ;)

One more note about Naomi and that storyline, especially since her mother is essentially tied to Annie and Dixon's dad but we don't know where that is going to go just yet. I did like the way her mother answered and reacted when she confronted her about seeing her father kissing another woman. It seemed not only plausible but it played out well, even with dad coming over to get some toast and kiss his wife good-bye towards the end. Nice touch.

And before I forget...the chemistry between Dixon and Silver is by far the most natural and I would love to see that go somewhere!

That is all for tonight...I am still looking forward to next week!!





Blog sig Colleen

1 comment:

Nobody said...

I agree with everything you are saying!! TY you put it so nicely into words.

Can I ask a question though? Wouldn't Janet and Steve's little girl really be a bit younger then Hanna (rather than what you said...around Kelly's son's age)? But that would be awesome if they brought her on the show!

I do agree, I think Dylan is the father for all the reasons you stated. Also, look at the kid - that blonde curly hair. To me is just SCREAMS Dylan more so than Branden.

Anywhoo...keep up the great recaps!! I am enjoying.