Saturday, September 27, 2008

My Public Service Announcement-Register to Vote!

I am writing this post just as a reminder to everyone to be sure they are registered to vote and to be sure to go vote on Nov 4. It doesn't matter to me who you vote for, but what is important is that all citizens exercise their right to vote. IF too many people say "my vote doesn't count" and don't go vote, it won't count because it was never cast.

In NJ, I believe the law states that you must be resident of your county for at least 30 days, and you must register no less than 21 days prior to the election unless you are a first time voter then it has to be 30 days. The days are getting closer and closer.

In NJ, all you need to do is print out a form you can find on the internet from the state page for elections: http://www.state.nj.us/state/elections/

You can print the form and find out where to mail it here: http://www.state.nj.us/state/elections/voter-registration-application.html

Also, if anyone is interested, filmaker Michael Moore made a documentary on the attempt to reach out to college kids and "slackers" everywhere to get them to vote in the 2004 election. He is offering this movie to people for free. I am watching it now so I can't really comment much on it but you can read more and sign up to get a link to download it for free to your computer (and can find it on itunes) if you go to www.slackeruprising.com

So that is my PSA for the day. Register to vote and then go vote on Election Day November 4 2008. (and watch those debates on tv too!)

Blog sig Colleen

No comments: