Tuesday, September 2, 2008

90210 is back!!! (or so I hope!)

Let me start by saying I have not yet watched the new 90210 that is premiering on The CW tonight at 8pm but I am definitely watching it later this evening! I have my Tivo all geared up with a Season Pass and I have high hopes they will do justice to the original.

If you have ever read my blog, you have probably figured out that I LOVE my TV! And with the fall season gearing up I am hoping to do more TV Talk related blog posts as best I can.

But before I can do that, I have to watch the shows! I did spend the weekend watching some of the original Beverly Hills 90210. I was quite happy with Soapnet and the 24 marathon they ran yesterday! It is a great move to get people like me revved up for tonight's show.

I wanted to post my thoughts before I watched the show, based solely on what I have heard and read and what I hope to see. When I first heard about this "new show" 90210 I was skeptical. This is a fine line to walk on and if they do it right it really could be a cash cow but if they don't it will crash and burn quickly and burn all those people who are associated with it. I read an article that Luke Perry said he wasn't interested but I tend to think he might just be taking the safe route and waiting to see what happens before attaching himself to a project like this. Bringing Luke Perry's character of Dylan back and making the character of Kelly (played by Jennie Garth) more prominent but still not core would be a great way to seal the deal with old viewers. I think its great that the writers knew enough to pay respect to a show that was as big as it was for 10yrs and that really did end well. Its not often that a show can end so neatly but still have the viewers want for more. I feel that Beverly Hills 90210 did do that. I have seen them all and even own a few seasons on DVD but I can not stop myself from setting it up as a season pass on my Tivo so that I constantly have episodes I can watch on demand at anytime thanks to Soapnet! (And I am huge Friends fan too and own all 10 seasons of that show but even that I don't have on my Tivo!)

I can honestly say that most of my favorite episodes are from the college years on and that may have to do with the fact that I didn't start watching the show until I was in college and had to see re-runs to see all the first few years when they were in high school. I absolutely love the ones past college and I think its a great show that really did follow friends through high school to college to the real world (even if their "Real World" was a little bit out there. It IS TV though!)

I was at first happy to hear that Jennie Garth and Tori Spelling had signed on. I was more surprised to hear Shannon Doherty would be making an appearance or two and I was thrilled to hear that Joe E. Tata who played Nat from the Peach Pit would also make some appearances. I was then disappointed to hear that things didn't work out with Tori Spelling and I really do hope that after the show has established itself a little they can come to terms. I was interested to hear that the character of Kelly does share a son , possibly with with Dylan (Which definitely keeps that door open!)although apparently true parentage has yet to be determined) and that her half sister Erin Silver is to be one of the new teens.

One of the key items that I think will help this show to work is how they are reeling us older viewers in with familiar characters but also starting fresh for the "Gossip Girl" generation. It will be interesting to see how they use familiar references that viewers who watched the original can appreciate and feed our information for what happened "happily ever after" but that affect the stories of current players on the show.

So for now, I am going to leave it at that. It is taping right now and I will watch it in a bit. I promise to report back on my impression after it airs!

Blog sig Colleen

2 comments:

Count Your Blessings said...

I have it recorded on my DVR, and look forward to watching it hopefully tomorrow night. It sucks to have to go to bed 'early' now that I'm a Working Mom! lol But I love to read your thoughts and of course I always enjoy your TV Talk posts :)

CKF said...

Well don't read my review when I post as I am watching now even though since I should be in bed myself too!

Get your rest!!