Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Tv Talk: 90210 reviewed! **Spoilers-you have been warned!**

This is my attempt at a "live blog" of the show while I watch.

Ok, right off the bat I am enjoying the casual banter and the way they are filling in the back story of why they are moving to Beverly Hills. Set up is good. My first real "OMG" moment is when I learned that Hannah Zukkerman-Vasquez is on the show working for the TV station at school. Had heard a rumor but didn't think she was supposed to be a character we would see. Quite excited about that and hoping maybe it brings us a little Andrea along the way!

The opening scene for when the students arrive at school is definitely a shocker but risky:)I liked the introduction of the relationship the new principal has with the character of Kelly Taylor too. It seems real and sets up back story.

The opening sequence is nice, and that familiar 90210 theme but jazzed up a bit is a nice touch.

So far so good...I do appreciate that they stated the show is based on the original series.

Erin Silver looks like an interesting character although I am sure this actress will do wonders but its hard to picture little Erin Silver as a blonde and now a teen with black hair. Yes, I know its petty but it is what it is.

First scene at the new "Peach Pit". Nat looks good but older and I liked the struggle with the espresso maker:) New technology references that keeps the show current is very good. Not overdone. And it seems lacrosse is the new football!

The AfterDark from the original series is now "The Pit" although I am not quite sure how they got in yet if its a club but I do know some clubs have early hours for under 21...we will see, it IS Beverly Hills! It looks like they are drinking so I am not quite sure about that just yet but we will see!

Very good weaving of the characters and stories. I am so interested in seeing where it goes. I hope the pace keeps up...we are only 1/4 of the way through!

I am liking the Erin Silver character a bit more, despite the black hair!

Whoa!!! Bombshell when the ex-girlfriend tells mr new Principal he has a son!!!

End of first hour and I am happy so far. Enough references to old while really creating characters for new. It reminds me of a good mix of original Beverly Hills 90210 and The O.C.

The new Peach Pit is definitely updated but weird to take in but it has potential...

Ok the introduction of Brenda's return went very well. Classic, nice touch with references to Brandon and that Nat was involved in the meeting. Although it is a little weird to see Kelly and Brenda together again as friends but they do make reference to past turmoil which was good. I do have to say (and it may only b/c Kelly had a bigger part in this episode) but it seems like Jennie Garth seemed to slip back into the character of Kelly a little more naturally than Shannon Doherty did as Brenda. She wasn't bad but Kelly's character seemed more natural. It could be be because it has been less time since Jennie Garth played Kelly than Shannon Doherty played Brenda. I feel bad saying it but "Brenda" sounds old too lol where Kelly just sounds like "kelly":)

OK I just figured out what is wrong with the high school set:) it is most definitely updated and painted (which is to be expected after so many years! But it reminds me of the high school background from Dawson's Creek. Very Yellow!

Classic homage to the bathroom separating the siblings bedrooms! Nice touch!

Overall, I am quite happy with the pilot. There is a lot of good story potential, good integration of old characters with new ones and I am looking forward to where this goes (and hopefully some more "cameos" or even re-curring old characters!) A girl can dream!!


But for now, I must go to be as I am already up later than I should be! 'Til next week!



Blog sig Colleen

No comments: